Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Medical Bills Are Fun - Update 1

Well, there is a silver lining. I called the hospital to try to negotiate the bill down some if I paid them in one lump. They said that since they already discounted it from insurance they couldn't discount it again -- Whatever :). I'm sure that if I was able to prove I had no ability to pay they would drop it down some -- but that's a rant for another time.

I did find out that even though they have a couple different payment plans, the one I'm going to apply for has 0% for 18 months. This is actually a pretty sweet deal. Sure, I'm taking on more debt, but I'm not getting hit with any interest. If i did the same thing with my line of credit, I'd be paying nearly 10% on the money for an indefinite amount of time since it is the last on my snowball. With the payments on this being split to 18 months, it makes it a reasonable $139 a month. I've got more than that dedicated to the snowball, so it is going to all be piled on this debt. I should be able to pay this off in about 13 months if I can stick to it.

After that is paid off, then I'll have about another 13 months to go on the Van, so I should be able to knock out two major debts in 26 months. I really sucks thinking about things like that, but I made this bed, so I've got to sleep in it. Thankfully, after I get some traction going the rest will go fairly quickly.

On a side note, I've already burned through $1200 of my $2000 FSA... in 2.5 months. This thing is going to be burned out well before the year until it resets. Hopefully the coming months won't be nearly as taxing as the last year has been with medical expenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment