Thursday, October 23, 2008

Quick Money Saving Tip

I was in Target the other night picking up a few things, one of which was diapers. If you have kids, then you know how many of those bad boys you end up going through and how much of a drain on the budget they can be. Anyhow, after I found the size 5 diapers, I noticed something a bit off about the price. I wasn't exactly sure what it could be, but the numbers just didn't sit with me.

The smaller pack was listed at $9.99 for 40, and the Super Jumbo Mega Value Pack was $18.99 for 72 diapers. It must be the little bit of OCD in me, but the numbers didn't feel right. I pulled out my trusty calculator to figure out the cost per unit of the diapers I was about to purchase.

I looked at the Jumbo Pack first, figuring it was going to be the best deal. The cost per diaper is $.263 per diaper. I thought that wasn't too bad, and checked out the smaller pack. To my surprise, the 40 pack came out to being $.249 per diaper.

So, I bought two 40 packs and went on my way :). The moral of the story is that the large bulk packs aren't necessarily the best deal. Always check the price per unit to make sure you're not that hapless victim of a marketing gimick.

No comments:

Post a Comment