Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Incentives....Really?

A couple months back, I decided to dream a bit and took a stroll around a local Mitsubishi car lot, and even drove a couple. Out of my curiosity, I went ahead and let the sales guy give me his pitch, and run through all of the purchasing numbers and leasing numbers. I know it was a bit mean to get his hopes up, but I do find sick enjoyment from time to time letting people try to sell me something I have no intention of buying and watching them look at me dumbfounded when I walk away.

Anyhow, I've been getting marketing email from them off and on ever since. A couple things even caught my eye. One was if you bought one of the remaining 2008 models, they would PAY your car payment for 6 months. Nothing I heard or read had "fine print" so I was of half a mind to go get a 12 month car loan and let them pay for half my car :). I know that probably wouldn't happen (maybe with a fight, but not likely) so I didn't mess with it.

This brings me to the topic of my rant. I got another email today about the 2009 models. "Get dealer incentives of $1000." One thousand dollars? Really? That's like maybe 5% of the cost of a new car. What kind of incentive is that? Most grocery store sales give you a better discount than that. Buy one get one half off, three for one, etc. Incentives? That's not an incentive. That is insulting my intelligence to think offering $1000 will make me think I'm getting a great deal on something that has been marked up well beyond that.

You would think with the struggling auto market, they would have their own INCENTIVE to help spur interest in their products. How about having a Kohl's style sale. You know, things between 40-60% off. Cars on the "clearance rack" marked down to 75% off. You start doing that and I guarantee people will start flocking in to by cars. If I could all of a sudden buy a new Lancer for $6000, now you've got my attention.

Are you listening auto industry? You want to sell stuff -- then HAVE A SALE. Forget this 1-5% off crap, actually mark something down and maybe we'll come pay you a visit.

Not that I could afford to pay $6000 for a new car right now, but still :). AFTER I get this mess cleaned up, I'm much more likely to be buying a $6000 car than a $15000 car.

No comments:

Post a Comment